Weight Loss Surgery Process
UPMC Chautauqua WCA
31 Sherman Street Building, Suite 2500
UPMC Chautauqua WCA)
Jamestown, NY 14701
Fax: (716) 485-7878
7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Our Bariatric Physician
Galo Grijalva, MD FACS
After you meet with the physician, you will meet other members of your treatment team including your dietitian, psychologist and the WCA Bariatric nurse coordinator. You will also meet our office secretary who will help you schedule your appointments and insurance questions.
- You will attend one of our Informational Seminars and schedule an appointment at WCA Bariatric Center to see the physician.
- The physician will meet with you and talk about your weight loss attempts. He will review your medical conditions and complete a history and physical. If appropriate, he will give you a referral for necessary tests. He will also refer you to the WCA Hospital registered dietitian and clinical psychologist.
- Our dietitian will ask you about your eating habits and will discuss your eating plan before and after your surgery. You will be asked to keep food records before and after surgery so we can help you create a comfortable eating plan. This food diary will be included in your introductory packet to help you.
- Our psychologist will interview you to determine whether you are emotionally prepared for the surgery and to evaluate the lifestyle changes you have made in preparation for surgery.
- We require at least two visits with our support group before your surgery.
- A support group comprised of patients being evaluated for surgery and patients who have had surgery. It is helpful to meet other people who have been through the experience. They can be a source of inspiration and encouragement. They can also provide you with their unique perspective on the weight loss surgery experience.
- Before undergoing surgery, several tests will be performed.
- Blood test
- Abdominal ultrasound (to check for gallstones)
- Chest X-Ray
- Sleep study/Pulmonary Consult
- Physical activity
It is helpful to be active while preparing for surgery. It will help you recover faster. Physical activity will also help you lose the amount of weight recommended by your treatment team prior to surgery. We will talk to you about recommended ways that you can increase your physical activity. Before you are scheduled for surgery, you will meet with the physician.
- At this time, you will be asked to sign a consent form which gives him permission to operate. He will also schedule your pre-anesthesia visit.
- Be sure to come to this appointment with any questions that you might have. We also encourage you to bring a close member of your support system either friend or family.
- The week before your surgery you will have an appointment for your pre-anesthesia visit.
- You will receive written guidelines for the night before surgery including instructions on diet and bowel preparation.
- Your surgery and hospital stay.