Palliative Care Program
Palliative care improves the lives of patients and families facing serious illness. At UPMC Chautauqua WCA, we help address your concerns, assess the individual situation, and use our expertise to develop the best palliative care plan possible.
Here’s what you should know . . .
How can palliative care at UPMC Chautauqua WCA help?
When you are on the front-lines of an illness, you need answers, relief, expertise, and support. Our team of physicians, nurses, social workers, and other healthcare professionals make sure that all of your questions and concerns are addressed.
Working closely with your primary doctor, we provide:
- Expert treatment of pain and symptoms
- Inpatient and outpatient care
- Close communication and compassionate care
- Home care coordination and referral
- Help in navigating the healthcare system
- Detailed practical information and assistance
- Guidance with difficult treatment choices
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family
What can I expect from palliative care?
- Relief from distressing symptoms such as pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite, and difficulty sleeping.
- Improved ability to tolerate medical treatment.
- Improved ability to carry on with your daily life.
- Better understanding of your condition and your choice for medical care.
When is the right time for palliative care?
Palliative care helps through all stages of illness. It is best introduced in your early care, and is provided at the same time as curative care.
Is palliative care the same as hospice care?
No. Hospice care is meant specifically for those approaching the last stages of life, while palliative care is appropriate for any stage of a serious illness.
How can I access palliative care?
To discuss palliative care, please ask your doctor for a referral. UPMC Chautauqua WCA can help you whether you are in the hospital or at home.
We’re Only A Phone Call Away
UPMC CHAUTAUQUA WCA HOSPITAL PALLIATIVE CARE PROGRAM
TELEPHONE (716) 664-8633
207 FOOTE AVENUE, P.O. BOX 840
JAMESTOWN NY 14702-0840