The mission of UPMC Chautauqua WCA's 4D Surgical, Pediatric and Medical Unit is to provide quality healthcare with dedication, compassion and pride. Positive attitude, specialized training and a team approach assist the staff in improving the outcomes of a diverse patient population.
We strongly encourage you to be involved in the care of your child and we invite you to ask questions and share your concerns. By working together, we can give your child the love and care necessary for recovery.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to stay with their child and be present when the doctor visits. However, there may be special circumstances when the nursing staff will need to take over the care of your child. We appreciate your understanding.
- Only one parent may stay with the child during the night to allow us to safely care for him or her.
- 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM Daily
- Two visitors at a time for the comfort of our patients.
- Children under twelve are not allowed, unless given special permission from the Charge Nurse.
- There may be circumstances when a child is receiving special care and visitation is limited to immediate family.
- Visitors may be asked to wear a gown and mask. A sign will be posted at the door with instructions.
- Name bands must be worn at all times.
- Children fitted with a security band must keep the band on at all times.
- Side rails on cribs must be kept up.
- Infants and some children will be weighed each morning before 7:00 AM per the doctor's orders. We will need to wake them for this purpose.
- All diapers must be weighed.
- Diets will be monitored. This includes all food and drink the child consumes.
- Please check with the staff before bringing food in for your child.
- Please be sensitive to the child's diet restrictions when eating on the unit.
- Vital signs will be checked per the doctor's order (temperature, pulse, respirations and blood pressure). Frequency depends on the child's medical condition. Usually this occurrs every four hours around the clock.
- Elma Cream will be used whenever possible to numb the child's skin prior to drawing blood or starting an IV.
- Parents are encouraged to assist in diapering, feeding, bathing, giving medications and playing. This is comforting to the child and lessens their fear.
To make your stay with us more comfortable we offer:
- Free telephone service in each room.
- A lounge area where all cell phones must be used. They are not allowed in any other area of the unit.
- Television service. (There is a charge for this service.)
- Garden Café and Snack Shop on the Main Level.
- Gift Shop inside the Snack Shop.
- Employee Cafeteria on the Lower Level - open everyday, 6:00 AM to Midnight.
- Vending Machines located near the Emergency Department Entrance and the Employee Cafeteria.
- Shower facilities for those who spend the night.
- Beverages for parents.